Is everyone done with the self-isolating yet? I feel like I can go on for a little while still. I have a giant list of things I can do, plus I still have finals next week. So I’ll be busy for at least a week more. However, after next week I’ll have a lot more free time to fill. I plan on doing some creative stuff with Netflix permanently on in the background. I’ve been doing that every once in a while these past weeks as well, so I now have compiled a great list of series to watch. Today I’ll give you that list, consisting of series I’ve already watched and can recommend, and a few series that seem interesting to me and are on my ‘to watch’ list. So if you’re already through your series list and you’re looking for something new to watch: you’ve come to the right place. Let’s get into it!
Ninety percent of the following shows are available on Dutch Netflix. I am not sure how this differs globally, so that’s why I did not mention next to a show if it is available on Netflix or not. However, most of these are. I do mention when something is a Netflix or Disney+ original, though.
- The Witcher: Netflix original, 1 season, fantasy: A great show if you’re into fantasy, don’t really know what else to say.
- The Disastrous Life of Saiki K: 3 seasons (ended), anime: A very funny anime about a psychic kid with dry humour. All the characters are hilariously weird and the little editing details make everything so much better.
- The Frankenstein Chronicles: Netflix original, 2 seasons (ended), thriller: I really enjoyed this weird, horror-like series which takes the idea of Frankenstein to another level.
- Kipo and The Age of Wonderbeasts: Netflix original, 1 season, animated adventure. This show is a very wholesome adventure about a girl from the burrows trying to survive in a sort of post-apocalyptic world where all the animals have evolved into weird, fun creatures.
- I Am Not Okay With This: Netflix original, 1 season, comedy-drama. This show just aired recently, and I watched it in a day. The main character is a very relatable teen, but she has weird things happening to her. Like very weird things. It’s great and the season ending is just amazing!
- High School Musical The Musical The Series: Disney+ original, 1 season, comedy-drama. If you’re a fan of HSM, this is for you. The highschool at which HSM was recorded is performing HSM as a musical and this is about everything around that, and the personal struggles the teens deal with.
- Glee: 6 seasons (ended), comedy-drama. Who doesn’t know Glee? I feel like I’m the last person to watch this, since I just started binging it. If you’re into some teen-drama and music, this is perfect for you.
- Insatiable: Netflix original, 2 seasons (ended), comedy-drama. A very dark humoured series about a girl trying to get revenge on her bullies, with some very dark twists. I recommend!
- Love, Death & Robots: Netflix original, 1 season, animated science-fiction. Every episode of this series is a different story and animated by a different crew. And every episode was fun to watch! Could be gory and a bit 18+ sometimes, but the animation is just amazing!
- Avatar: 3 seasons (ended), anime. Almost everyone I know has watched a bit of Avatar growing up. The storyline and character development is just so good and the characters are all so likeable. And who hasn’t pretended to be a waterbender in the shower?
- Dracula: Netflix original, 1 season, horror. This show has three 1,5 hour episodes. The first two episodes are great and the female lead character has such great energy and is so badass. The third episode wasn’t as good (I thought), but I did enjoy it. It’s just very gory and a great version of the Dracula story.
- The Good Place: Netflix original, 4 seasons (ended), comedy. There’s just something about this show that’s so funny and wholesome, and I love it. Really recommend if you’re looking for something casual to watch.
- Vikings: 6 seasons (ended), historic drama. I’ve said for years that this is one of my favourite shows. There’s amazing storylines and great fight scenes, which make for a great story. I don’t know, I just love this show.
- Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency: Netflix original, 2 seasons (ended), comic science-fiction. This show is so much fun! It’s so funky and weird, with great sci-fi plots and great characters. It’s just something that you have to watch and you either love it or you don’t.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: 1 season (ended), anime. A great storyline, with alchemy and great backstories. There’s a lot of depth in this show.
- The Seven Deadly Sins: Netflix original, 3 seasons, anime. If you’re in for a fun adventure, watch this show. There’s jokes, adventure and great fight scenes. All the characters are written well, even the bad guys.
- The Letter for The King: Netflix original, 1 season, historic drama. This is the only show on the list that I haven’t seen myself yet. However, I feel like I need to talk about this, because I really want to watch it and it’s almost like Dutch heritage. It’s based on a children’s book by a Dutch writer, which I loved reading growing up. There’s also already a Dutch movie on this, which is amazing, so I’m definitely excited about this show!
- Castlevania: Netflix original, 3 seasons, animated drama/horror. This is an American anime, if you may call it that. It’s American made, in anime style, kind of. It’s about vampires, vampire hunters and other magical things. However, it’s very badass and very gory. Definitely 18+.
- Merlin: 5 seasons (ended), fantasy. This is such a wholesome fantasy show. Great friendships and characters, and a great story. It’s based on the original King Arthur stories.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine: 7 seasons, comedy. Just straight up fun. Very casual to watch and great humour.
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance: Netflix original, 1 season, fantasy. If you’ve ever seen The Dark Crystal, you can’t go without watching this show. It’s a prequel to the original movie and it explains so much that happens in that movie. The stagebuilding is SO GOOD and it looks so beautiful! I hadn’t watched the movie yet, but I immediately fell in love with this show.
- Pushing Daisies: 2 seasons (ended), comedy-drama. I don’t know why this show is the last one on my list, but it’s definitely my favourite one. And I will always say this is my favourite one. It’s about a piemaker who can bring people back to life by touching them, and make them dead forever by touching them again. He works with a PI to solve murders that way, and all is fine until he has to resurrect his childhood crush. It’s a great wholesome show with some weird murders and weird situations. I’ve binged it twice already and I’m going to again next week!
I think that’s about it! There are definitely more series to binge in this time, but these are some that I have watched recently and loved. I could name a lot more as well, but maybe I’ll save that for a part two. Let me know what series you like to binge and if you want me to make another list! Stay safe, stay indoors, and distance yourself for a bit. I’m guessing all these shows can definitely help with that. I want to thank you for reading, and I’ll see you next time!